The hemp plant is a treasure trove of cannabinoids, boasting somewhere around 100 - and those are just the ones we’ve researched! While CBD is the most widely known and used cannabinoid, there’s a fascinating precursor that often goes unnoticed – Cannabidiolic Acid or better known as CBDa.
For those who've been on this journey with us, the tale of CBDa is no stranger. We first unveiled the benefits of CBDa back in 2022, and now, it's wonderful to see the wider CBD community catching on. The buzz around CBDa is growing, and rightly so!
So, let's dive back into CBDa – a cannabinoid with its own unique allure and benefits.
WHAT IS CBDa?
CBDa appears in the plant before CBD, as it is the raw, precursor of CBD. Think of the freshest cannabinoid extract from the hemp plant! And bringing this product to you requires a very special process to get the benefits of CBD in all of its forms.
As a living cannabis plant matures, cannabinoids initially appear in their acidic forms. And while there are hundreds of cannabinoids in the cannabis plant grown for CBD, CBDa is the most abundant compound found in that “sticky stuff” on the hemp flower.
WHAT DOES CBDa DO?
CBDa is easily metabolized by the body. Recent studies have shown that CBDa may provide relief from inflammation and pain, nausea, seizures, and stress-induced anxiety. Here’s why:
- CBDa has a similar molecular structure to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Both may help relieve inflammation by blocking the same enzyme, which is associated with inflammation after infection or injury.
- CBDa is found to be a thousand times more powerful than CBD in binding to 5-HT serotonin receptors linked with anti-nausea.
- CBDa could be a powerful anti-convulsive, because of its similarities and interaction with the 5-HT receptors.
- CBDa was found to work in similar ways to existing SSRI inhibitors that are currently used as anti-depressant medications.
Like CBD, CBDa does not get you intoxicated or high. Since our Relief Extract includes both CBD and CBDa in a full-spectrum extract that interacts more broadly in your body via your endocannabinoid system it may “feel” a little different.
WHY COMBINE CBD AND CBDa?
CBD and CBDa are like the ultimate power duo but on different stages. Excuse our pharmaceutical analogy here, but they're the natural tag team, just like your Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen for the hemp era.
CBDa doesn't groove the same with your endocannabinoid system or tap directly into CB1 or CB2 receptors, like CBD does (you can read more about CBD’s impact on your endocannabinoid system here). Research is still unfolding, but early whispers say CBDa brings the therapeutic jazz by mingling with enzymes and receptors:
- Gets down with COX-2, the inflammation enzyme.
- Whispers sweet nothings to serotonin, the happiness messenger.
So, it's a love story – CBD and CBDa, better together just as they bloom in the wild plant. You can read more details about CBDa on our original blog here.
HOW IS CBDa DIFFERENT FROM CBD?
CBDa interacts with completely different systems in your body than CBD does. So together these cannabinoids are the perfect compliment to each other just like in nature!
Excuse our over-the-counter medicine example, but think ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain management or fever reduction. Except, this is the all-natural kind!
CBDa does not interact the same way with the body’s endocannabinoid system, nor does it bind directly with the CB1 or CB2 receptors. And while there is still a lot of research being conducted on CBDa, early findings are that CBDa delivers its therapeutic power to the body by interacting with enzymes and receptors. For example, CBDa is found to
- Interact with COX-2, which is an enzyme associated with inflammation.
- Influence serotonin, a transmitter associated with happiness and overall well-being.
So, CBD and CBDa are truly better together, just as they are found in the living plant.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO USE CBDa?
Like many cannabis products, everyone's experience is different based on their individual bodies and needs. The same is true when it comes to using CBDa products!
For this reason, we strive to provide you with fresh, quality products that offer a variety of cannabinoids and other beneficial compounds!
Together these products may provide more than just one benefit to you. Whether you’re new to CBD or are already finding benefits with CBD products, explore how you can enhance your self-care by adding a CBDa-rich product to your CBD routines.
This product can be used:
- Directly under the tongue, so it bypasses the digestion system and is absorbed directly into your bloodstream through the major glands in your mouth until swallowed.
- Dropped into your favorite beverage like cold iced coffee, tea, or even a cocktail. Just ensure the beverage is not above 248 degrees (which would be really really really HOT anyways!)
- Blended into a healthy shake or smoothie, giving you the extra boost you need throughout the day
- And so many other recipes and more, just don’t heat it and convert the CBDa to CBD.